Thursday, May 21, 2015

New life

May 18 : Exactly a month back, we landed in Dubai bag, baggage and all. I quit my job of 18 years, sorted the stuff I had accumulated in my own apartment of 10 years - gave away many, threw away some and packed some - and rented it out furnished to a newly married couple. A tribute to the days we started out as a newly married couple with only our suitcase of clothes. Populating our house with essentials had taken over a year. Furnished houses on rent were few and far between then and the  one that came my way slipped away as I dilly dallied.
Kids started school on the Sunday after we landed. That the week begins on a Sunday is something I have to get used to. In the process I tend to skip Tuesdays as I eagerly await Thursdays.Every week is an eager wait for Friday when we can sleep late into the day, have brunch and go for an outing.
However, my kids are getting disenchanted with Dubai which they had much bragged about for a year in Chennai. For one, they find the shift from Tamil Nadu State board syllabus to CBSE here tough. Especially Hindi and Arabic. I tell them not to lose heart citing my own example - a similar struggle in Tanzania in secondary school. Getting up early morning to catch the school bus at 6.30 am is not their cup of tea either. The bus takes an hour to beat the traffic and reach school during which time they can catch some sleep, other kids willing.
Thirdly, they have realised that Dubai is not a vacation anymore. The last two trips were fun when they visited malls, parks and played with their cousins.Now they dont get to see their cousins except during the weekend. But the bonding with cousins is the best part of their Dubai life. They play, fight and patch up. The youngest of them, all of 5 years, tells Ash: "I like your face very much, can you take my face and give me yours?" That's probably the best compliment Ash has received!
The mother is getting into cooking mode doing some on the spur breakfast and lunch dishes in an hour's time.Having had cooks for nearly 10 years, it has not been easy. The fact that I cant give much junk food and the hubby craves traditional food adds to my woes.
An hour at the gym is the only other exercise that I get now. But I am enjoying this break from work.

2 comments:

ush said...

Hi,'
Enjoy your new life.
God bless.
Take care
Usha

Anonymous said...

The little one's comment is very heartwarming. If we could be like kids!
Sam

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...